Monday, January 12, 2015

Corin Tucker Interview

Back when I was a nervous young writer (as opposed to nervous slightly older writer), probably the first really holy shit article I published was an interview with Corin Tucker, indomitable performer and personal hero.  If I could find the files on my computer I'm sure I sound all pathetic and shaky.  Now that Spinner is long-gone the formatted interview is lost, so here's (most) of the rough text of the call.  Reading back now, I only wish I could have been slightly more ambitious in my questions.  I'm sure she'd heard plenty like these that day and answered plenty more later.  Ah well.



How did the Corin Tucker Band come together?
Well, actually back in I think 2008 I got asked to play a benefit show for my friend, and I did a couple of songs and ended up playing with my friend Seth Lorinczi, and just encouraged me to make a solo record.  And so that turned into the Corin Tucker Band.  We made that record over a year and a half and put it out in 2010.

How did you meet up with Sara Lund the rest of the band?
Well Sara is someone I’ve known for a long time from Olympia days, and our bands played together.  We asked her to play on the first record, not know if she would say yes, if it would work, and it worked out really well.  So that collaboration worked out really well and we toured a little bit off of that record and played some shows, and ended up collaborating some more to write this second album that we put out together.

When Sleater-Kinney broke up, did you take a break from playing music, or was it something you just kept at?  And has your writing since then changed?
Yeah, I really took a break, focused just on my family life for a couple of years, and I really hadn’t written very much, but I did I ended up writing a couple of songs for that benefit show, thinking it was just kind of a project.  But it changed.  It definitely was an exploration of different instrumentation, trying out different things with my voice, trying different styles.  It was a really interesting project to work on.

What was writing Kill My Blues like, because as you said, the other one you spent a year and a half on, and it was people you hadn’t really collaborated with before, but now after you toured, how did the writing style change, if it did at all?
Yeah it changed a lot for this second record.  We would sometimes just jam in the practice space, we came up with some of these songs that way, and that was a really fun exploration of everybody’s different talents.  Mike Clark and Sara Lund really have a groovy rhythm section thing happening, it’s really fun to play with.  Seth and I have a lot of fun doing guitar stuff together.  I feel like that sort of natural collaboration can happen between the four of us.

Is a big difference working with a bassist?
Yeah, really big, it’s been really fun, actually, to work with Mike and to play with that rhythm section.  It’s been really fun to sing with too, for me.  And it’s just been fun exploring more different music styles.  We’ve almost gone for a sort of disco sound in “Neskowin” and it was an unexpected pleasure.

On the album you switch to more of a storytelling style, as opposed to the lyrics being more personal and introspective.  When you played the songs from the last album live, did you see them not connecting as well with people as you expected them to?  And in the past, how much of a mix of storytelling and personal stuff was in your lyrics?
I think that I’ve always kind of mixed personal and storytelling styles, but I think for the last record because I was writing by myself so much, the songs were more personal and just about things I’m thinking about in my head.  But for this record, because we all were writing together, it did feel like I was coming up with something that was more of a story format.  That just seems to really present itself to some of the audiences that we played to.  I noticed that they really wanted to come out and dance.  People, when they come out to a show, they really want to have an experience where they’re listening to music and dancing around, and when you’re playing a really quiet acoustic song, it doesn’t really lend itself to that kind of experience, and so I kind of thought about these people that come out and want to dance and move around at these shows, what kind of album would facilitate that?  And I think that definitely played a part in the songwriting for this record.

Now as a parent and someone with a fulltime job, has your approach to, and your appreciation for touring changed?
Well, I think that it’s still something that I’ve always viewed as a part of the music business.  To me it’s always been a part of the job, an important part.  But when you have little kids that are depending upon you, it just made it so much more difficult.  The kids are school age now, and I’m hoping that will make things a little bit easier this time around.  They have their routine and their friends and the things that they’re into.

Did they like touring around?
Well, they both have done it, but I wouldn’t say like is the operative word there.

I saw in the materials that this album was being referred to more as ‘riot grrrl’ than the previous one, and I guess my question is: do you connect with the same music and ideas as back when riot grrrl was more of a movement, and less of a genre?
Well, I think what is actually so frustrating is that a lot of those same issues that we were talking about are still so relevant today.  When I was in college it was all about reproductive rights and worrying about overturning Roe v. Wade, and it’s like ‘wow, we’re still arguing about those same issues’, and it’s still the woman who calmly gets up and requests that her insurance pay for birth control pills gets slammed as a slut by Rush Limbaugh.  It’s mindblowing that as a culture we’re still there, and so I think that frustration is still a part of my mindset, and the kind of frustration on some of the music I write too.  But I’m a different person now, 20 years later, and I think that there’s different perspectives that I have, but I think that a lot of the same issues that we were fighting for are still relevant to women in our country and around the world.

The lyrics to “Groundhog Day” definitely seem to be expressing this idea of the frustration of the terms of the debate regressing and refusing to move forward.
Yeah, well unfortunately, some of these same things are being repeated, but we need to move beyond them.  But that’s the younger generation.  When I look at younger people, I’m just so hopeful for them that they will move beyond some of these issues that we have.  I think it’s a lot of older Republicans that would have that kind of mindset that are still in power.  They’re still the ones with talk shows and who are running Congress, but that’s not going to be forever.  It’s taking longer than I think it should have, but I think, for the younger generation, for future generations hopefully, they’ll keep changing things.  I just think that we have to keep talking about these things so that, in the future, these things will be different.

I’m kind of stealing this question from an NPR interview I read between a bunch of metal musicians, but why music?  Why choose that as an art form or form of expression?
Hmm, I think that to me, music always moved me more than anything else.  It’s a very deep form of communication for many people.  And I think with research they’ve found that, truly, it’s the deepest form of communication in your brain.  Music is one of the last things you lose when you lose your mind, like when you have alzheimers, you still have music in there.  That rhythm goes way down deep in your limbic, your core of your brain.  Human beings respond to music very deeply.  It’s a really intense way to communicate with people, it communicates a lot more than just thought, just discussion, it communicates emotion.  You give people that emotion, especially when you play a show and you’re in a room with them, you can make them feel something.  That is a super powerful event as an artist.  I was lucky to be able to find that out at an early age, and it changed my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment